Thursday, October 1, 2015

Securing a JOB in IT - An Experience

Beginning of my final year of college. My prime focus was to secure a job and live a peaceful and entertaining life this year.
I was the one who first initiated the craze of attending off-campus recruitment drives among my friends.
My first drive was of HP at Chandigarh University, Chandigarh. It was my first experience and worst too. There were 12000 students present who were attending the drive. I already knew that my scope for selection was negligible but still I waited for the results till evening and as expected , I was rejected.
I didn't think anything about that drive because I knew that there was no chance of my selection. After that I found another drive at Panipat, i.e. for L&T infotech. We were 12 friends who went there for interview rounds. Only 6 managed to go to the final and I was from the one of the six guys. It was a 2 day interview process and a very hectic process. We almost travelled 300 kms in less than 24 hours to attend the interview. Out of 6 , 5 got selected in the company and I was the only one who got rejected!
That day I broke and cried but thought that this is just a start and there is a lot more to go. I buckled up myself with same enthusiasm , with which I went to second interview.

My search for a job never ended because I wanted to enjoy my college life freely, that is, without any tension about future. That was the only driving force which made me rise again. Meanwhile Indian Navy came to our college and took interview of us. They were checking communication skills and level of thoughts. I believed that i had an average communication skill and gave interview with some nervousness. My scope for selection was negligible. Results were awaited because it would come directly from headquarters if selected.
Then the turning point came. Infosys arrived our college. People were preparing like hell for infosys. The best part was that I was not eligible for the recruitment drive because my percentage was 62% and criteria was 65%. I smiled and took leave for two days from college because it would be very difficult for me to see people giving interviews in mass recruiting company.
All of my good friends got selected in this company and they were very happy and celebrating their achievement.
I was happy for them but the saddest part was that, I was not happy for myself.
I still believed that there is a lot more to go. I gave several other interviews and results were same in all of them i.e. rejected. I was mainly rejected in last round of every company.
Funniest thing that happened with me was that, in the last round of HCL, HR gave me a taunt that my english is poor and he eventually rejected. I was shocked because I had already cleared their communication round.
Again a disappointment!
My rejection count was 20. Yes it was. My friends came and showed me sympathy that something good is written for you but I felt offended with those words because only I knew that where I am standing. I started distancing my friends.
A depressing state was originating.
I was not the only one who was suffering from this, there were others too but they had stop themselves for trying but I always went to each and every drive and every time I faced rejection.
The situation was bad and it was getting worse whenever I went to any gathering with friends.
Someone truly said that when it's darker enough, be happy because sun is coming. I got the mail from Indian Navy! I was called for SSB interview.
In that darkness Navy gave me hope and gave me some courage to rebuild myself. But again, bad luck never leaves you, TCS interview scheduled was declared and it collided with Navy interview.
I had to give priority at that moment, and I gave it to TCS. I cleared the first level of TCS but I again got rejected in technical interview.
No hope left. No big companies left. My final exams began and I secured a job. Yes, it was JK Technosoft. Although salary wasn't good enough but I was happy that atleast I had a job.
My college life ended. Everyone got busy in their new life. I was struggling again because this company was not a company rather than an outsourcing consultancy.
I was a pinch behind my patience level. One of my friend referred to me to NEC. I had gone there with one of my friend. But again my bad luck gave me a surprise by giving some unexpected explanation to my rejection (I wasn't selected because the manager who was taking interview went home early and that was the last day of hiring). My friend got selected!
I completely broke and cried like nothing. First thing that came into my mind was that I am not fit for any job but my tears were not understanding that I still wanted to give another try to myself.
My count was 30!
At that day I planned that I will go to bangalore and will give a new start to my job search in complete new environment because here at home I was not mentally stable. I wanted to leave each and every friend of mine.
One of friend was so good to me that he always headed up to teach me with my subjects. I can never repay him because his help made me stronger every day. 
Some friends helped me with a non-technical job but i refused and apologised them because I had to work on my technical strengths and I cannot afford to work on non technical field.
I planned to permanently leave this city and start a new life. 3 days before my train to bangalore, i went for 33rd interview and the last interview in this city.
I cleared all the rounds and I got selected. Yes, I finally got selected on my own. The profile I wanted and the work I was made to do.
That was the happiest moment for me because I finally secured a job after 14 months when I started my journey to search for a peace.
Once a wise man told me, few new born child learns to walk early and few learns after their expected time but that doesn't means that they can never walk.
I believed in myself all the time, I never gave up. I studied a lot, I practised a lot and in the last I found one.
This job was my UNEXPECTED GIFT and it didn't give me peace but it gave me a motivation that I AM JUST STARTED!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...